“Late in April 1865, Green River Plantation received uninvited guests: a detachment of U.S. cavalrymen, likely part of Col. William J. Palmer’s brigade of Stoneman’s raiders. Hungry men and horses in need of forage filled the yard. According to family tradition, horses quartered in the house left hoofprints in the parlor floor.” This text can be found on the Civil War Trail Marker that stands near the entrance to Green River Plantation, a magnificent, nineteenth-century, forty-two-room mansion that was built in 1804. It is now a Bed and Breakfast and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Visit Green River Plantation and learn the rest of the story. Take a tour of the mansion and see the hoof prints in the parlor. Tours are by reservation only, so call first 828-286-1461.