- This event has passed.
Coon Dog Day
July 6 @ 8:00 am - 11:00 pm
The celebration held for 50+ years includes a parade, music, street fair with art and food and dog judging.
The festivities kick off early at 8 AM on Main Street with the 5K race through town. Folks bring chairs early to claim a shady spot for the 11 AM parade that features bagpipes, homemade floats, fire trucks, antique tractors, hillbilly cars, King and Queen, and plenty of coon dogs. It’s the highlight of the day, lasting about 30 minutes. The day ends with the street dance that wraps up at 11 PM. Admission is free.
The dog judging starts at 1 PM with the Bench Show for looks and style standing still. At 3 PM is the treeing contest with dogs chasing a fake raccoon. The winner has the most number of barks in 30 seconds. Dogs are welcome to join in the fun as long as they are leashed. Get your official Coon Dog Day t-shirt at the historic Thompsons Store.
- 7 AM: Breakfast for $6 at the Masonic Lodge on Ozone Drive. The Blood Connection on-site for donations until noon.
- 8 AM: Coon Dog Day 5K Race/Fun Walk. Register on Friday, July 7, 5-7 PM at Saluda City Hall. Or Saturday morning 6:30-7:30 AM.
- 8 AM-11 PM: Main Stage Entertainment and vendors along Main Street.
- 10 AM: Pedal Cars for the Kids in front of Don Mintz Builders office on Main Street and Obstacle Course & Rock Climbing Wall on the Saluda School tennis courts.
- 11 AM: Famous Parade with lots of personality.
- 12 Noon: Lunch at First Baptist Church of Saluda on Carolina Street. Fried chicken with all the fixings for $10 per plate.
- 1 PM: Slip & Slide across the street from the Saluda School on US Highway 176. Free.
- 2:30 PM: American Kennel Club Licensed Show in the Pavilion at McCreery Park. Treeing Contest immediately following Show.
- 4 PM: Big Wheel Race for Adults and Kids on Greenville St.
- 6-8 PM: Shag and Swing Music.
- 8-11 PM: Street Dance.